The Descendants and Ancestors of William Berry, Sr.

by John V. Berry William Berry, Sr.  is believed to have been born in the State of Maryland around the year 1738 and the available ev...

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

William Berry, Sr. of Burke County Letter from Lawrence Wood to CB Berry

By John Berry

The following is a letter that was from 1984 which preserves some of the reserve done by my Uncle CB Burgin Berry and Lawrence Wood.  The letter is attached, but I have also copied the text, which follows:

75 Peeks Creek Road
Franklin, N.C. 28734
Tel. 704-524-8457
Feb. 16, 1994

Dear Burgin -

You may not remember me. We were in touch some years ago on [the] Berry family.  I haven't done much on them for a long time, however, yesterday I received information that my 4th great grandmother, Ann Young was probably, a daughter of William Berry, Sr.,. an early settler of old Burke, and his wife, Elizabeth who was probably a Montgomery. One son, Enoch Berry who moved to South Carolina; a daughter married David Hunter, in 1775. Another son was William Berry; Jr. We think James Young named his son Enoch Young after Enoch Berry.

Have you worked any on the old William Berry family? I am told he died during the. Revolutfonary War and Elizabeth, his wife, administered the estate with Capt. William Moore as Surety.  Capt. Moore's mother was Margaret Berry - sometimes spelled Barry.

Did you ever find anything on Ezekiel Berry? He was father of Logan Berry, born l813- If l never did get the Logan Berry Bible record sent, I will. I am very anxious to learn anything I can of the old William Berrv family.

Will share any info. I have. tho' most of the Berry is descendants of Logan. I have the Young records of John S. & Ann Young family. Will look forward to hearing from vou. I hope get this Okay.

     Most Sincerely,

     Lawrence E. Wood.



Since this letter I have conducted additional genealogical research, and I also believe that Ann Young, was the daughter of William Berry, Sr., He is listed as a signatory on her marriage documentation.  I believe that Elizabeth Berry was Elizabeth Montgomery given the significant level of involvement in her property affairs by other Montgomery family members before and after William Berry, Sr.'s death in 1780.

In terms of Enoch Berry, he eventually moved to Blount County, Tennessee and his service record in the Revolutionary War is well established.  Captain William Moore is heavily tied to this Berry family and is no doubt related through several documents.  Ezekiel Berry is believed to have passed on during the Revolutionary War at the same time as his father, or shortly thereafter.  Logan Berry's story is unique and will be the subject of a different article.  

No comments:

Post a Comment